Former film critic and editor of the now-defunct Flipside Movie Emporium. Writer of sorts. Houston native. Also: dancer, poet, fiddler.
Watch: Arcade Fire’s Will Butler & Spoon’s Britt Daniel Talk Songwriting, Perform at SXSW
This year’s “I Wrote That Song” panel at SXSW Music featured some bona fide indie-rock luminaries discussing the songwriting process and performing stripped-down acoustic versions of the songs discussed. Included on the panel: Will Butler (Arcade Fire), Matthew Caws (Nada Surf), Britt Daniel (Spoon), Matt McCaughan (Superchunk), and Marshall Crenshaw.
Karen Glauber of Hits magazine moderated the hour-long event, which you can watch in its entirety below.
Did I mention that Big Star’s Jody Stephens shows up 40 minutes in and sits down to play the classic “Thirteen” and “For You”? He just happened to be wandering by. “We all love Jody, the nicest guy in rock,” Glauber says.
And the rest of the songs?
- Butler performs “Take My Side” from his solo album Policy and a new untitled song.
- Caws plays “See These Bones” from Nada Surf’s Lucky and a new song called “Friend Hospital.”
- Daniel does “Rainy Taxi” from Spoon’s They Want My Soul.
- McCaughan performs “Lost Again” from his new solo album, Non-Believers.
- Crenshaw plays “Grab the Next Train” from his recent EP and “Cynical Girl” from his 1982 debut.
So, yeah, stop reading this and hit play already.